Thursday, August 10, 2006

128 Wussiest Song Tournament: Day 3

All votes must be received by 17:00:00 PST Thursday, August 17. Day 4 will be posted tomorrow, as will results from Day1. Please vote on the first two (below) if you haven't already.

#2. "All By Myself" - Eric Carmen vs.
#15. "When I'm With You" - Sheriff
What if you weren't here but I weren't alone either? Would I love the one I was with?

#7. "Hero" - Mariah Carey vs.
#10. "Friday I'm In Love" - The Cure
I'm baffled that AOL considered "Friday" The Cure's wussiest plausible offering.

#3. "Close To You" - The Carpenters vs.
#14. "The Reason" - Hoobastank
Close To You, i.e. not quite with you but quite by myself.

#6. "Just The Way You Are" - Billy Joel vs.
#11. "On and On" - Stephen Bishop
I had an old keyboard that would autoplay "Just The Way You Are" for some reason.

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Dear god, "All By Myself." Though the Sheriff song is woefully underseeded.

Hero - yeah, there have to be wussier Cure songs. "Boys Don't Cry" is up there.

"Close to You" - the circle jerks do a nice cover, though.

"On and On" - I haven't liked Billy Joel since I turned 12, but you know that scene in Animal House where Bluto smashes the guy's guitar? That was Stephen Bishop, and it's too bad Senator Blutarsky wasn't following him around later in life.

5:42 AM  
Blogger beam aims north said...

All by Myself >> Sheriff (I love both songs, though!)

Hero >> Friday

Close To You >> The Reason
(Close To You starts off as only a mildly wussy song, but the whole "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" part drives me insane!)

On and On >> Just the Way You Are

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#2 "All by Myself"

Abstain on "Hero" vs. "Friday I'm in Love." Neither song is particularly wussy.

#3 "Close to You" (because the narrator's apparent plan is to remain one of many competitors for the addressee's affections). I'm not that familiar with the Hoobastank song, but from what I have heard and reading the lyrics, the Carpenters song is wussier.

#11 "On and On" (can't believe this is only an #11 seed)

1:04 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

All by Myself
Hero
Close to You
On and On

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only match where I know both songs is the second one, where I'll vote for Hero. Neither song strikes me as especially wussy.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Snowed In said...

All By Myself

Hero, though either is deserving of a vote.

Close to You - Why do birds suddenly appear? Usually, it's because I just washed the car.

On and On - though "Just the Way You Are" scored bonus points for hypocrisy when Billy Joel left the women for whom he wrote the song for Christie Brinkley.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home