Friday, August 11, 2006

128 Wussiest Song Tournament: Day 4

All votes must be received by 17:00:00 PST Friday, August 18. Day 5 will be posted Monday.

#1. "Shiny Happy People" - R.E.M. vs.
#16. "Do I Make You Proud" - Taylor Hicks
SHP is apparently the Duke basketball of this field.

#8. "I Just Called To Say I Love You" - Stevie Wonder vs.
#9. "Our House" - CSNY
I once left the chorus of "I Just Called" as a voicemail message. Apparently the highlight was the abrupt click as I hung up. Meanwhile, a letter between siblings...

#4. "Think of Laura" - Christopher Cross vs.
#13. "Amazed" - Lonestar
You already know that every 13-seed, every 14-seed, and one randomly lucky 15-seed are my arbitrary additions to the field. Of those, "Amazed" is the song whose omission from the AOL list surprised me most.

#5. "My Heart Will Go On" - Celine Dion vs.
#12. "I'm Not In Love" - 10CC
Far across the distance and spaces between us, it's just a silly phase I'm going through.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

SHP - Refer to Denis Leary's routine regarding this one

Our House

Amazed - Due to living in Texas for a while and my wife's preference for country, Think of Laura was/is much easier to avoid.

Heart Will Go On Celine songs = shooting fish in a barrel, but I'll vote for it this round anyway.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abstain on "Shiny Happy People" vs. "Do I Make You Proud." I don't know the Hicks song well enough, and the R.E.M. song isn't that wussy.

#9 "Our House." Even though Stevie Wonder song is kind of boring, boring isn't the same as wussy.

#4 "Think of Laura"

#12 "I'm Not in Love"

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHP. Should win by the video alone.

Just Called to Say I Love You

Think of Laura.

I'm Not In Love; the spoken-word "big boys don't cry" makes this a massive sleeper pick.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

"Do I Make You Proud" - Anything coming from the Worst Show in the History of Television is likely to get my vote.

Very very very wussy house.

"Think of Laura" is so wussy I sometimes forget and think it's by Chris DeBurgh. That's how wussy it is.

"I'm Not in Love," and it isn't even the wussiest song Godley & Creme were involved in (that'd be "Cry")

6:48 AM  
Blogger beam aims north said...

Do I Make You Proud, which also features the world's weirdest key change. I feel bad voting for it, because I know it's not Taylor's fault it's so terrible, but boy is it wussy.

I just called to say I love you

Think of Laura. Amazed fills that generic first-dance slot at weddings perfectly nicely.

My Heart Will Go On, to go along with the Wussiest Movie Ever award.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Snowed In said...

Shiny Happy People - Good grief, even Sesame Street's parody of this was better.

I Just Called To Say I Love You - That, and to point out at great length why I'm not calling.

Meanwhile, nice letter between siblings that relates to a different song of the same title.

Think of Laura - Hadn't heard Amazed until today, but two minutes of it is enough to know it doesn't hold a candle to Laura's wussiness. Any song that is appropriated for use in a soap opera is generally bad, except for "Rise" by Herb Alpert.

I'm Not in Love - Both songs deserve lower seeds, but any song which has sixty seconds of a voice whispering "big boys don't cry" gets my vote.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home