Wednesday, August 16, 2006

128 Wussiest Song Tournament: Day 6

All votes must be received by 17:00:00 PST Wednesday, August 23. Day 7 tomorrow.

#1. "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - Poison vs.
#16. "What Hurts The Most" - Rascal Flatts
Ah, breakup songs... I was denied permission to use either of these as a wedding processional.

#8. "Too Shy" - Kajagoogoo vs.
#9. "You Had Me From Hello" - Kenny Chesney
Modern medicine falls short of the moment that I looked into your eyes.

#4. "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" - Wham vs.
#13. "Could've Been" - Tiffany
Chris Griffin has performed exactly one of these in a Family Guy skit. I have sung exactly one of these in a karaoke bar.

#5. "So Sick" - Ne-Yo vs.
#12. "Mandy" - Barry Manilow
Oh answering machine, you kissed me and stopped me from something, but I sent you Ben-Gay.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

"What Hurts the Most" - When hair bands write power ballads, the only conviction behind them is the desire to ensure post-gig tail. Who the hell knows why Rascal Flatts does anything.

Wow. Normally Limahl & those other guys would take the cake. But not only did Kenny Chesney write a song based on the Worst Film Ever Made; he managed to woo AND quickly lose its female lead! He's in the wuss hall of fame, threatening Fogelberg's crown.

"Wake Me Up, etc." - I think it comes down to the lyrical brilliance of "take me dancin' /boom boom boom boom"

Mandy. It was Angel's favorite song. Angel sucks.

9:27 AM  
Blogger beam aims north said...

I really love both songs, but I'm going with Poison here.

Kajagoogoo. Kenny's marriage may have failed, but his wedding pictures were the cutest I have ever seen, and that's what matters.

Could've Been.

I don't even know "So Sick" so I'll vote for Mandy.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were several songs in this day that I wasn't familiar with, but I played the 30-second excerpts on Amazon.com and read the lyrics, so I'm going to vote based on that.

#16 "What Hurts the Most", primarily for the lead singer's vocal delivery of the title in the chorus. I'm not a particular fan of Poison, but I think Rascal Flatts should get the vote here.

#8 "Too Shy"

#4 "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" -- Tiffany benefits from the presumption that wussiness is a quality primarily associated with males.

#5 "So Sick" -- I was completely unfamiliar with Ne-Yo before he showed up in this tournament, and it was close between him and Manilow, but Homer Simpson has only sung one of the songs in this pairing, and it wasn't "So Sick."

Oh Mindy, you came and you gave without flaking,
But I sent you Ben Gay.
Oh Andy, you kissed me and stopped me from something,
And I -- [sees Lisa watching] Uh oh.

Lisa: Judging from your song, you're infatuated with a woman named Mindy. [despondent] Or a man named Andy.
--"The Last Temptation of Homer"

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home