Friday, August 18, 2006

128 Wussiest Song Tournament: Day 8

All votes must be received by 17:00:00 PST Friday, August 25. Day 9 Tuesday (this Tuesday-Friday schedule works around the Labor Day thing pretty well).

#1. "You're Beautiful" - James Blunt vs.
#16. "Wonderful Tonight" - Eric Clapton
After Christina Aguilera I was surprised anyone else could gain such notoriety with a "Beautiful" song. Meanwhile, "Wonderful" is one of multiple songs in this bracket that I've karaoked at some point.

#8. "Babe" - Styx vs.
#9. "Let Me Hold You" - Bow Bow
I often think of Styx and Bow Wow in the same context.

#4. "Muskrat Love" - America vs.
#13. "Butterfly Kisses" - Bob Carlisle
Here's where the specific choice of performer makes this interesting (I meant to make that same observation yesterday re "Such Great Heights"). Without meaning to prejudice any second-round clash, this strikes me as a "Darn you Clippy!" deathmatch.

#5. "Beth" - KISS vs.
#12. "Skyway" - Replacements
Me and the boys will be playing in my stupid hat and gloves all night.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

"Wonderful Tonight." Turned even the staunchest "Clapton is God" fan into an atheist.

Babe - adults, who should know better, are Styx's core audience.

Butterfly Kisses. Songs about having kids are about as wussy as you can get.

Beth - There are few bands I know better than the Replacements, and I can name five 'Mats songs wussier than Skyway.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Snowed In said...

Wow, we start with two deserving songs, but there's a reason some stations have banned You're Beautiful.

Let Me Hold You...maybe I should know better, but I like Styx, including Babe.

I didn't realize there was a wussier version of Muskrat Love than that of the Captain & Tennille...

Beth--why this song is still played when, by and large, I Was Made for Loving You isn't, I will never understand.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're Beautiful

Babe

Muskrat Love jingling a jangle to the next round.

Beth

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#16 "Wonderful Tonight": I could make a case for either the Blunt or the Clapton, but I've been tired of the song "Wonderful Tonight" for the last 20 years or so, so the Clapton gets my vote this round.

#8 "Babe": I was previously unfamiliar with the Bow Wow song, but it doesn't sound particularly wussy. My vote goes to Styx.

#4 "Muskrat Love": When I first heard of the existence of a song called "Muskrat Love" -- which had been recorded by two different major acts in the 1970s -- I was incredulous. Fortunately, neither version shows up on oldies radio much. The Carlisle song could be a contender in another pairing, but it's a lot easier to understand a man being sentimental about his daughter than about muskrats.

#12 "Skyway": I admit I never heard the 'Mats song before, but it seems to be told from the perspective of a man who can't talk to a woman because she's indoors, one floor up, whereas he's downstairs and outside. It's competing against a song by a band with its own army. No contest here; my vote goes to the Replacements.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, who's Clippy?

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home