Tuesday, August 22, 2006

128 Wussiest Song Tournament: Day 9

All votes must be received by 17:00:00 PST Tuesday, August 29. Day 10 will be posted tomorrow. Days 5-8 still anxiously await your input.

#2. "Hello" - Lionel Richie vs.
#15. "I'm Into Something Good" - Herman's Hermits
Sad wuss or happy wuss?

#7. "Leaving On A Jet Plane" - Peter, Paul & Mary vs.
#10. "I Need Love" - LL Cool J
Trying to find romance or trying to escape it?

#3. "You Light Up My Life" - Debbie Boone vs.
#14. "Never Gonna Give You Up" - Rick Astley
Downtempo or up?

#6. "Annie's Song" - John Denver vs.
#11. "Don't Take The Girl" - Tim McGraw
Life, or...

4 Comments:

Blogger beam aims north said...

The only one I have strong feelings about is "Don't Take the Girl." My God, I hate that MFin' song. Wussy, wussy, wussy.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

"Hello" would be a strong contender even without the stalking-the-blind-chick video that puts if far over the top.

"Leaving" -- it's hard to begrudge Mr. Smith the ballad, given what LL means and all.

YLUML

Tim McGraw wins unheard.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Snowed In said...

Hello...bonus points for I'm Into Something Good for that scene in The Naked Gun.

Leaving on a Jet Plane--don't let the door hit you.

You Light Up My Life deserved a #1 seed.

Don't Take the Girl--I was all set to vote for Annie until I made it to the end of the song and the girl died (sorry if I spoiled it for someone...). Sappy death songs win this contest every time.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#2 "Hello" -- Note that the narrator of "I'm Into Something Good" appears to be considerably more successful in romance than the narrator of "Hello."

Abstain on PP&M vs. LLCJ.

#3 "You Light Up My Life" -- my tendency to brand only male singers as wusses was outweighed this time by the fact that I really can't stand the Debby Boone song. (That's Debby with a "Y.") However, I would have voted for Astley if he were represented by "Cry for Help" instead.

#11 "Don't Take the Girl" -- I'm not that familiar with the McGraw song but am voting for it for similar reasons as Snowed In. By the way, did you notice that two of today's songs are from the same songwriter?

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home