Friday, August 25, 2006

128 Wussiest Song Tournament: Days 11-12

MEGA POOL!

All votes must be received by 17:00:00 PST Friday, September 1. A whole bunch of results coming tomorrow.

#2. "Dear Mama" - Tupac vs.
#15. "Against All Odds" - Phil Collins
She isn't coming back.

#7. "Tutti Frutti" - Pat Boone vs.
#10. "Lovin' You" - Minnie Riperton
That's a note Pat Boone can't hit.

#3. "Right Here Waiting" - Richard Marx vs.
#14. "Sylvia's Mother" - Dr. Hook
Mrs. Avery I just want to talk to her: In the end if I'm with her, I'll take that chance.

#6. "Hip to Be Square" - Huey Lewis vs.
#11. "You're the Inspiration" - Chicago
A totally '80s matchup.

#1. "Ben" - Michael Jackson vs.
#16. "Kiss Me" - Sixpence None the Richer"
A Jacko cover of "Kiss Me" would be outstanding.

#8. "Time in A Bottle" - Jim Croce vs.
#9. "Kites Are Fun" - The Free Design
I got nothing.

#5. "She's Like The Wind" - Patrick Swayze vs.
#12. "Silly Love Songs" - Paul McCartney
Minor key or major key?

#4. "Walking On Sunshine" - Katrina and The Waves vs.
#13. "At This Moment" - Billy Vera
Another totally '80s matchup.

3 Comments:

Blogger Snowed In said...

Ooh...I get to go first!

I'd not heard Dear Mama before this morning, and you know what? It's probably the best Tupac song I've heard (which doesn't say much). Against All Odds gets my vote.

Too bad...I was looking forward to using the line, "Let's give it up for your Pittsburgh Steelers!" Unfortunately, Pat Boone destroyed Tutti Frutti.

Right Here Waiting...for this song to end already.

Probably either of the next two are deserving, but You're the Inspiration gets my vote.

Ben, of course.

Time in a Bottle isn't my favorite Croce song, but Kites Are Fun (another song I'd never heard before) would be really excruciating if it were longer than 2½ minutes.

She's Like the Wind. I don't think I liked any song from that movie.

And I still can't hear At This Moment without thinking of Tracy Pollan.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

"Against All Odds". You know a song is wussy when the Postal Service cover has more cojones.

Though not as wussy as when Mr. Boone wanted to correct the grammar in "Ain't That A Shame," Tutti Frutti takes the cake.

"Right Here Waiting" - Richard Marx: Less talented than Gummo?

"You're The Inspiration." Huey was used to good effect in American Psycho.

"Kiss Me" - Nothing wussy about a love song to a killer rat.

I'd only heard the pseudo cover of "Kites Are Fun" by Mellow, and was thinking it was grossly overseeded. Then I listended to the Free Design sample. Dear Lord...

Swayze.

"At This Moment." K&tW are vastly overseeded: their only big claim to wussiness i can see is that their guitarist is a guy named Kimberly. But he was in the Soft Boys, which means he's brilliant.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#15 "Against All Odds." Whenever I vote in a wussy songs tournament, I tend to skip over the songs by people with "Thug Life" tattoos.

#7 "Tutti Frutti." Why did Pat Boone even bother to record this song if he was uncomfortable with the original lyrics? And it's not as though he brought a level of excitement to his performance comparable to Little Richard's.

#14 "Sylvia's Mother."

#11 "You're the Inspiration." The subject matter of the Huey Lewis song might entitle it to a place in this tournament, except that it's supposed to be humorous. Also, the Lewis song features NFL players as background vocalists.

#1 "Ben." A Jacko cover of the Sixpence song would really be disturbing ("Kiss me by the broken treehouse"?). But Sixpence's own version of its own song is actually pretty good.

#9 "Kites Are Fun." Never heard of this artist or this song before the tournament, but the song is certainly insipid. I may cut them some slack in later rounds due to their obscurity, because they haven't been annoying me on oldies radio.

#12 "Silly Love Songs." The McCartney song has an unusual structure and a good instrumental arrangement but really, really weak lyrics. I like the Swayze song somewhat but I might end up voting for it in a later round if it advances.

#13 "At This Moment." The Katrina and the Waves song, which is an uptempo song from a female singer, shouldn't even be under consideration in this tournament.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home